We absolutely love this meal! Not only because it tastes great, but also because there are so many fantastic ways to prepare this dish. Today we decided to use whole chicken thighs with the skin on for an extra flavour boost. We also used Just Flavour Italian and Moroccan to enhance those flavours even more.
These blends work so well together for a meal such as this. You will experience the main flavours of garlic, herbs, cumin and turmeric. The addition of freshly squeezed lemon at the end brings a beautiful tangy element that ties everything together!
One-pot Chicken Pilaf
Dinner / Lunch / Meal Prep
This is a must-try!
700g @butcher_crowd chicken thigh, skin on, boneless (approx. 5 small pieces)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
3 cups diced vegetables (carrot, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, approx. 300g)
- 1/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp Just Flavour Italian
2 tsp Just Flavour Moroccan
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
1 2/3 cups warm chicken stock, reduced salt
- lemon wedges to serve
Pat the chicken skin dry. Lightly spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper. In a medium pan, sear for 2 - 3 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate and discard the oil. Don't wash the pan! Keep the brown bits and flavours for the pilaf.
In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil. Sauté onion and vegetables for 2 - 3 minutes. Add wine, cook for 1 more minute, scraping the bottom of the pan to lift those flavours
Return the chicken thighs and bring to a gentle simmer. Reduce temperature to med - low, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
Turn off the heat, keep the lid on and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Remove chicken, give the pilaf a good stir and check the seasoning. There is a fair amount of rice, season generously with salt and pepper.
Serve pilaf with thighs, lemon wedges and side salad if you prefer. Enjoy!
There are many alternatives to make this dish and that's why we love it! Here are some suggestions:
- To save time, use pre-cut vegetables or frozen vegetables. If using frozen, add them at step 4.
- You can use diced chicken thigh instead. Brown at step 1 and proceed with adding the onions and vegetables. No need to remove the chicken from the pan.
- You can also use chicken breast. Brown for a few minutes at step 1 and transfer to a plate. Return chicken to the pilaf for the last 5 minutes of cooking time, mix well.
- For our veggie lovers, skip the meat all together and enjoy a meat free version!
We love seeing your foodie creations on instagram, make sure to tag us on @justflavourco see you there ✌🏽